(Ahlul Bayt News Agency) - "Outlaws try to carry out terrorist acts in Iran ahead of special events, but over 5 terrorist operations have been discovered and thwarted since (the Iranian month of) Esfand (February 19 to March 19)," Zolfaqari said in Tehran on Saturday.
His remarks came after a suicide bomb attack in the Southeastern province of Sistan and Balouchestan killed three people, including the bomber, on Friday.
Zolfaqari blamed foreign-based terrorist groups for the Friday blast, but meantime said that the number of the operations carried out by such terrorist cells has decreased due to border guard and security forces' increased intelligence operations along the country's borders.
He said investigations are still underway about the source and the way explosive materials had been smuggled into the country for the Friday blast.
Yesterday reports said that the bomber tried to enter Imam Hossein (PBUH) mosque in Chabahar city, but was identified by Basij (volunteer) forces before he could enter the mosque. The bomber then began to escape the scene and detonated the explosive device 400 meters away. Two young Basij forces were martyred in the incident. Morteza Asoudeh, was martyred on the scene of the explosion and another one, Hamed Bazi, died of his wounds in hospital.
In relevant remarks today, Commander of Iran's Basij (volunteer) force Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Naqdi condemned the Friday terrorist attack in Chabahar, and said such terrorist acts plotted by the US and its allies will lead to the failure and annihilation of the arrogant powers.
"We warn the masterminds of this terror, that is the Great Satan (the US), …that such terrorist moves will yield no result but unity and solidarity between the Shiites and Sunnis and will lead to the absolute defeat, failure and imminent annihilation and collapse of the world arrogance, while elevating the exalted position of the dear Islam and the Islamic Iran in the eyes of the world's public opinion " Naqdi said in a statement on Saturday.
End item/ 149